Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ask the Warrior

Ranger Handbook

Dear Warrior,

I have been suspicious that my wifeis hiding my candy. I know I am a little overweight, but I have a plan to diet. In the meantime, I can't find my stash. Should I confront her about this?

Signed,
Heavy and Hungry
*****
Dear Heavy,
With training, equipment, and the will to survive, you can overcome any obstacle you may face. You will survive. Understand the emotional states associated with survival. "Knowing thyself" is extremely important in a survival situation. It bears directly on how well you cope with serious stresses, anxiety, pain, injury, illness; cold, heat, thirst, hunger, fatigue, sleep deprivation, boredom,loneliness and isolation.

a. Memory Aid. You can overcome and reduce the shock of being isolated behind enemy lines if you keep the key word S-U-R-V-I-V-A-L foremost in your mind. Its letters can help guide you in your actions.

(1) S - Size up the situation, the surroundings, your physical condition, and your equipment.

(2) U - Undue haste makes waste; don’t be too eager to move. Plan your moves.

(3) R - Remember where you are relative to friendly and enemy units and controlled areas; water sources (most important in the desert); and good cover and concealment. This information will help you make intelligent decisions.

(4) V - Vanquish fear and panic.

(5) I – Improvise/Imagine. You can improve your situation. Learn to adapt what is available for different uses. Use your imagination.

(6) V - Value living. Remember your goal - to get out alive. Remain stubborn. Refuse to give in to problems and obstacles. This will give you the mental and physical strength to endure.

(7) A - Act like the natives; watch their daily routines and determine when, where, and how they get their food and water.

(8) L - Live by your wits. Learn basic skills.
 
Get your own printed copy of the US Army Ranger Handbook from Red Bike Publishing
 

No comments:

Post a Comment